"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. " --- John 8:10

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Happy Birthday!

Don't have a lot of time and I've got a lot of emails (that Facebook email alert thing does a number on your email count).

Dongducheon is fun enough. I'm like a greenie again. No idea how to talk to Americans anymore. I've said, "Hi," in Korean, and asked them to shake my hand, and about a billion other really awkward little mistakes that show me that I've got some changing to do before I get back to the US. 


FHE with five new investigators
The area is about one third American soldiers stationed at Camp Casey, one third African (mostly Nigerian and Liberian) factory workers, and a third Koreans. The Koreans have been largely ignored by the other missionaries in the area because they have been fairly given up on and also don't speak English and so have to be sent to a different city if they want to attend church. Most of my success so far is with the Koreans because that's who I'm good at talking to. The Africans are as interesting as their names. They are all super into the Bible and are super quick to offer to meet with the missionaries. They really like us, but they have some tough work schedules and a tougher time keeping commitments. The area was split just before I got here and the soldiers from the pool went with Elder B___, who is a medic with the National Guard and served in Iraq. We got the Africans. There weren't really any Korean investigators. We are working on diversifying a bit more right now. Interesting area, but I need a few more weeks to get used to things and figure out how to do missionary work here.

New companion is cool too. Elder Ch____ is from Idaho and wants to go into real estate development. Went to BYU for a while. We get along well. 




Anyways, no Outback here that I know of, but I'm eating an American diet again (chili, tacos, cereal, omelets...heaven) and we're going on a big zone trip to the DMZ the day before my birthday, so that will probably be my celebration. I get to see Elder S____ and K____ again, which I'm excited about.

Love you all, and thanks for all the birthday wishes!
Elder Whitlock