"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. " --- John 8:10

Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Work


This week the most notable thing that happened was that Elder Whiting from the Seventy came over for a mission tour. I asked him a question, and he answered both of the two seemingly unrelated questions that I had written down. He also called me in for an interview after the thing. Apparently I'm supposed to punch him the next time I see him. Exact obedience, right?

This week is temple week, so I get to see the new video (finally)! Also, since we live a ways away, we are going to be bunking back home in Gireum for the night so I'll get to see my old pals. It's going to be a night to remember! 

I actually do have some investigators. I don't talk a lot about the work, especially with regard to investigators, because even when I'm feeling fine about stuff my lack of success tends to worry other people. Also, most investigators don't tend to last very long and I don't want to burden other people's weeks. 

Last week we had two people with baptismal dates. One we referred to a different mission area because he is moving; the other one didn't make it to church again, so if he is going to make his date, he's got to come the next three times in a row. He's been keeping the Word of Wisdom fairly well, so that's cause for celebration, but keeping appointments and other commitments is proving difficult. There was another guy who didn't have a baptismal date, but was reading all the way through the Book of Mormon after the first meeting, who we had to refer to Seoul as well. Got dropped by another guy because we did a 40 minute lesson instead of the hour that he expected. Another guy is barely an investigator. We met him once and things seemed fine, but he took a trip to his hometown and hasn't made it back to town yet. 

We do have a couple of the cutest Chinese investigators ever! They are a couple and they are super smart and speak English. The fourth baptismal invitation didn't go down, but that was because they know what a big commitment it is. The problem is that they are scared of not living up to that commitment once they move back to China and things get more difficult socially. They surprised me and Elder J by making it out to church for the whole time this Sunday after a Sabbath-day lesson that came across a little weak to me.

We also met two Catholics yesterday. They both handled the Great Apostasy pretty well, but are going to be busy for a long time, so I don't know when we'll see them again.

So yeah, there are people on my radar.  All is not lost.  There are things happening.  But when people read the above they think that I live in a constant state of "wants to jump in front of a train," which isn't the case. I'm happy and fine. It was hard, but I've been hardened, so to speak.

More next week, love you!