"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. " --- John 8:10

Friday, June 28, 2013

Week the Fourth


... totally had an English fast yesterday. Worst idea I've ever had. I couldn't say anything beyond, "I am God's lion," and, "You're going to hell." Even more obnoxious was that I ran into my trek baby, Chad Squires, and I couldn't say a word to him apart from, "Osakhamnida." Which it was. Fail.

So yeah, still...Korean.

************



Hey family, it's been great to hear from you.

I really appreciate all the letters you send, but the last one was especially awesome. Six pages. Thats what I call a letter! I'm glad you guys didn't come to see me after the devotional. I would have been distracted and homesick for a while after, but I love you and I'm glad you got to see my beautiful face. That's "my faces" for mom. One of the few potential advantages of almost dying on a slip and slide is the abilty to see more of me at a time. It's also really good to hear about my friends, since they are doing a woefully bad job of letting me know about themselves.

Thats right, assorted nonrelated reader. I'm talking about you.

Cheering Jaybear on.... when he decides he cares about something, nothing can stop him from getting it done. Also fun to hear about Megan and Savannah. Megan's letter gave me hope, while Savannah's filled me with gut wrenching terror, but of the sort that is morbidly fascinating. I read about her issues understanding people, and I'm like, "My life."

Which reminds me: totally had an English fast yesterday. Worst idea I've ever had. I couldn't say anything beyond, "I am God's lion," and, "You're going to hell." Even more obnoxious was that I ran into my trek baby, Chad Squires, and I couldn't say a word to him apart from, "Osakhamnida." Which it was. Fail.

So yeah, still...Korean.

Anyways, the devotional/broadcast thing last weekend was pretty great, for the most part. The choir/ missionaries were incredibly disappointing to me. We didn't have enough seats for people, and only people who have been here for as long or longer than me were supposed to go, but instead we had a mob of thousands literally running across the campus to get a seat. It was dispicable. I hung back, was responsible about stuff, and that ended up paying off when one of the leaders announced that "the first shall be last and the last shall be first," before taking my tail chunk and letting us in through another set of doors. The bretheren were great though. I always love how bro-y the apostles are. They walk in and everything gets all quiet, and they're giving each other highfives and waving at the crowd. My favorite part was when Elder Holland, aka the most intense (like camping) man on earth, turned around and gave us a thumbs up.

After thoughts were mostly spiritually oriented, and I don't think I'll share them, but it was interesting to hear about our missionary methods expanding. I'm actually more excited about the church tours than the internet business. Having toured my share of churches, I loved how open they were. I was able to just walk in midday and be in their holy places, and while I did, I learned a lot about other faiths (and by other faiths, I mostly mean Catholicism ---t hey are great about their churches being open). I feel like I'll be able to use those opportunities pretty well, provided I can do more than just tell people that the afterlife is going to be warm. With the internet thing, I decided that some of my language study has to go into learning to type and spell correctly, so I've been working on that. Seoul is actually a pretty tech centered mission already. Like, missionaries text investigators about stuff intstead of just calling them. So we'll probably be phased into the internet stuff pretty quick, but we'll see when I get there.

Other people I ran into this week include Elder Tyson Maag, aka Maag Sauce (though I think thats just in my head), and Sir Billiam Vaughn Honey. It was great to see both of them, and nice to finally run into someone who is going to be here after I depart.

The Will thing actually reminds me that as of this week, I used to play bass for Fiareah. I'd say we were a Creed cover band, but my roomate that created the word is actually, ironically, one of the two Creed fans on earth. Yolo?

Love ya'll.

Oh wait, thats Sophie's word for the week. The actually used and acceptable word for "ya'll" is "yariboon."

Yaribooner saranghamnida.
Whitlock out.