"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. " --- John 8:10

Friday, June 21, 2013

.............


The people of Korea, need everything I have. My god has commanded me to give everything that I have. So I'll keep moving forward, keep studying, and keep dropping to my knees til I drop for the last time if thats what it takes.

I might not have enough, but I'm not here for me. I'm here for someone much better than me. Someone who has it all. Someone who cast everything under his foot until the last enemy he destroyed was death itself. How, then, can I fail?


*****************

...My district has discovered my lack of photogeneity. Mostly because I told them that I lack photogeneity. So they are determined to take a good picture of me. So far, nothing good looking, but we've had some hilarious ones. Most are spontaneous, but when I catch people I'll usually break out my lion face or my mouse face. Osakhamnida. This trend carried over when during the Sunday night devotional I was caught on camera. I popped mouse face out of instinct, then realized (erroneously) that Elder Ricky Stephenson was probably watching from the East Campus (Wyview).

Speaking of Ricky, he should be in Texas by now, but I didn't get to see him. Nor did his wardy, Bevard Chamaenim (sister, titles come after names), so we assumed that he was out of reach on the West Campus. Sorrow.

I also haven't seen Tyson Maag yet, although I can't remember where he is going on his mission or in which MTC he's being trained, so I might not get to see him after all.

I have run into ConCon (ahem, scuse me) Elder Breinholt though. Actually, since he's in my zone and lives two rooms over, it would be osakhamnida if I hadn't. He and his entire district are going to Seoul South, but they're about the only ones besides my zone leader. The wave I'm in is full of Seoul and Taejon missionaries with a smattering of Pousin missionaries, but almost no Seoul Southers. Not gonna lie, the first time Korean spilled from my mouth and into ConCon's lap without him knowing what was happening was a huge confidence booster. He let me know that Jayden had put his papers in and whatnot, so congrats to Jaybear! La Chaim! (Not Korean. Watch Fiddler on the Roof)

I can't remember if I already told you this or not, but one of the Sisters in my group is Australian. As such, there's been more than a little good old fashioned 'Murican pride floating around the Archdistrict. Also, in the gym there are a couple of rowing machines where you can have races. The Australian sister found out about them and got really excited and convinced us all to enter a rowing machine tournament....

Anyways, we set up the tournament for our district of 12 (8 elders, 4 sisters) in three divisions of single elimination progression. Sort of March Madness-esque. The big three winners from each district would then have to compete in double elimination duels. Fortunately, Sister Australia was up against Captain Protein who was able to thouraghly maintain America's record of superiority. We only ended up getting to the big three so far and I'm one of them, as is my companion and Captain Protein. Spoiler alert: I had by far the easiest bracket, so I will not win anymore. Call it the gift of prophecy if you must.

We also played district kickball last Saturday, partially out of a desire to overcome and/or relive memories from elementary school. It was super fun, so that will be every Saturday I think.

Also, coming up is some sort of hardcore missionary training broadcast from the first presidency/quorum of the twelve to the world. As part of that, I'll be singing in a choir of 1300ish missionaries and 1100 members. You can play "Find the Whitlock" with that if you watch. Also with a picture that I'll try to send later today.

Thanks for all the letters and the love.

Thought for the week: Never give up. Never surrender.

Whenever I listen to someone speak in Korean and I think to myself, ".............................." it sort of sucks. To compensate I've been channeling Naruto. When he's faced with a situation where to save his brother he has to face a nearly unbeatable enemy and someone tells him to turn back and save himself he says something to the effect of:

If he stands in my way, I'll beat him down.
If he cuts off my arms, I'll kick him down.
If he cuts off my legs, I'll bite him down.
If he cuts off my head, I'll stare him down.
And if he kills me, I'll curse him from my grave.
But I will not back down.

So that's where I'm at now. The people of Korea, need everything I have. My god has commanded me to give everything that I have. So I'll keep moving forward, keep studying, and keep dropping to my knees til I drop for the last time if thats what it takes.

I might not have enough, but I'm not here for me. I'm here for someone much better than me. Someone who has it all. Someone who cast everything under his foot until the last enemy he destroyed was death itself. How, then, can I fail?

Whitlock out.