"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. " --- John 8:10

Monday, May 27, 2013

Thank You and Adieu


Well this is it. I’m off to Korea for two years. Pinch me.

I’m terrified to be honest. I feel like I will be a good missionary. I know I can be a good teacher and I’m genuinely committed to making a difference and helping people. But the adjustment into missionary life is going to be a doozy from someone like me that likes to stay up into the wee hours of the morning and bend rules. I’m also sort of terrified that I’m going to go into some sort of Naruto withdrawal coma, so thanks Em J. The scariest part though is the language. Learning Korean in two months is going be rough for a guy who struggles far too much with the nouns of the English language.

But I’ll survive it somehow. As evidenced by my ability to type this post almost twenty years after birth, I always do. And I’ll come out stronger for it.

Also probably a little bit fatter. Thanks to my papa, I’m now aware that I love Asian food, including kimchi. Maybe I’ll get a job at the Happy Sumo when I get back.

This last month since college seemed to drag on until now. I got back with more than a month to kill before I left. Sure there was prep, but not a month’s worth. So in between the weeding, Naruto, and stressing over my talk I was able to say my goodbyes to a crowd of great people.

Thank you all.

Thank you to my cousin who came to support me at every opportunity and went to the temple with me.

Thank you to my Great Uncle and Aunt who treat me like one of their grandkids and reminisced with me about a trip to paradise.

Thank you to my neighbor who keeps cranking out my favorite of bar-shaped snacks for me.

Thank you to my Papa for letting me work on your farm with you and showing me the joys of Asian cuisine.

Thank you to my Grandparents who helped me get equipped for the trip and always made time for me.

Thank you to my friend who found time to go to the temple and get a snow cone with me.

Thank you to my high school bros for the Star Trek and Super Smash night. You guys are all going to be awesome missionaries and I don’t say that about just everyone.

Thank you to my college bros who slew many a zombie with me and helped me discover many a great name for Creed cover bands. See you at Star Wars, gents.

Thank you to one of my newest best friends who makes me laugh and keeps me culturally enlightened.

Thank you little sis, for trusting me and talking the night away to the sky with me.

Thank you to my friend who, without real effort, always has my back and always smiles. Good luck on your mission, should you not be married before that.

Thank you to one of my college friends who helped me through one of the darkest times in my life in addition to recognizing the awesomeness that is Sherlock.

Thank you to my friend who thinks deep and has the most interesting of conversations with me when she isn’t turning light into art. Good luck catching up on all the movie homework I dropped on you and stay incredible.

Thank you to my brothers. I’ve loved getting to spend so much time with you this last month.

And thank you to my parents. My dad who is always there for me and takes care of me no matter how tough the situation. My mom who agrees to disagree with me on nearly everything, but loves me enough to talk through it anyway. Thank you guys for all your help and support.

Well, I guess it’s time to find out if blogs automatically are deleted after a while. I wish all of you guys nothing but the best and I can’t wait to see you again.

I love you all more than you may suspect. No, that sounds creepy. You know what I mean. Words, right?

Whitlock out.